1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear Staff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MooseBobby, Feb 12, 2020 at 7:33 PM.

1. MooseBobby

MooseBobby
    Expand Collapse
    Founder of Nexus (RIP)
    Donator

Dear Staff,

I'd like to preface this letter by saying nothing I am covering in it will be about future content updates, please do not be under the impression I am trying to rush those. I understand that our three devs are busy with life and do this as their side project, I do have issues with that but they will not be in this letter. You also may say that I am just whining and not offering solutions, but you already know a solution, me.

Dear Staff, this post is just meant to inform you of some mistakes I personally believe you are making. I do not speak for anyone but myself, though I sense many people will agree with what I say. I understand you may ban me for bringing up dissent, or topics you already know about, but I love this server and don't want to see it die again, and I don't see any staff doing anything to prevent that from happening yet again.

Dear Staff, why aren't new players joining, and if they are, leaving instantly? The majority of the people still playing joined months ago and can't quit. We have barely gotten a new face that sticks around for a long time in a long while. Where are the changes meant to be implemented? The PR Team is dead, Sphinx and Bleep both busy with Work and School now and aren't online, hell the only staff that play are Chocolate and Pell. Where is the advertising? Where is the player referral system? Where are the staff towns? Where is the tutorial that was planned months ago? Where is the infinite rtp to prevent them from raging? What is going on?

Dear Staff, where are the changes? I'm bored, there is nothing left for me to do on the server, and many others feel the same. I understand your typical response to us who seek war is "build" but building is only fun for so long, especially when I'm building for no one but myself and its only myself online when I'm doing it. I have three building projects going also, as my town is the second largest build on the server. There is no late game content, no politics anymore, its just little rats trying biting at my heels trying to take down the strongest base on the server. I need something to do, and I think others do as well. What is going on?

Dear Staff, what is the economy? I know Dread was working on some changes, supply and demand, etc, but that shop isn't complete and it's completely hidden from new players. Half the items in the /warp shop aren't in the CivShop sign hidden in the hay bales at warp crates. Even if I vote for something, the rewards in the crates are dogshit for any established player. Who cares about 4 stacks of obsidian in a legendary crate when I have two gold farms with 190 portals combined, its not beneficial and straight up infuriating. What is going on?

Dear Staff, how are new players supposed to stick around? They log in to a server where everyone is afraid to invite them at risk of losing their towns, instantly alienated by the lack of warmth they receive when told they can't join anyone but one neutral town, whose mayor may or may not be on within the week's end. They vote, and receive nothing, as it's completely broken currently. But that aside, even when it was working they receive jack shit. Not enough money to make a town, no crate keys to get them starting stuff, nothing but exp which they can't use. What is going on?

Dear Staff, where are the staff? We never see you guys online anymore, you are always in /v or if online AFK. Chocolate and Pelleaon are busy and only are available during the nights and weekends, if they can even get on that day. Nooblord and Meloye, I don't even know who those guys are anymore. Staff should be the people playing the server when it's only them on, because they are that dedicated. I understand you are busy people, but why not recruit some more staff to welcome players and help them out? What is going on?

Dear Staff, instead of addressing these issues mentioned above why do you insist on punishing people in discord for simply repeating song lyrics a few times a day as a joke? Why do you seek to mute 75% of the people who speak everyday in the Civwars discord and keep it alive just to keep them from saying lyrics and a certain youtuber. Why do you crack down harshly on the slightest rule break from players, when we are struggling to get 10 on nightly. What is going on?

Dear Staff, when I am on Civwars there's no place I'd rather be. Please strive to keep it that way. What is going on?

Sincerely,

Moosebobby

#1 MooseBobby, Feb 12, 2020 at 7:33 PM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 7:52 PM
    Bleeep, Camarena, Vali and 3 others like this.
  2. Asdeo

Asdeo
    Expand Collapse
    Nemesis Consul Mayor of Lofi

-Trimmed: Clean Bandit's Rather Be lyrics.-
    Oh, oh, oh
    We're a thousand miles from comfort, we have traveled land and sea
    But as long as you are with me, there's no place I'd rather be
    I would wait forever, exalted in the scene
    As long as I am with you, my heart continues to beat

With every step we take, Kyoto to The Bay
    Strolling so casually
    We're different and the same, gave you another name
    Switch up the batteries

If you gave me a chance I would take it
    It's a shot in the dark but I'll make it
    Know with all of your heart, you can't shame me
    When I am with you, there's no place I'd rather be

N-n-n-no, no, no, no place I'd rather be
    Ooh ooh

We staked out on a mission to find our inner peace
    Make it everlasting so nothing's incomplete
    It's easy being with you, sacred simplicity
    As long as we're together, there's no place I'd rather be

With every step we take, Kyoto to The Bay
    Strolling so casually
    We're different and the same, gave you another name
    Switch up the batteries

When I am with you, there's no place I'd rather be (Yeah)

Oh, oh
    Be be be be be be be be be
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, yeah

#2 Asdeo, Feb 12, 2020 at 7:47 PM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 3:49 AM
    Vali and MooseBobby like this.
  3. Breeze

Breeze
    Expand Collapse
    Donator

When I am on CivWars, there's no place I'd rather be.

MooseBobby likes this.
  4. Cody

Cody
    Expand Collapse
    Ex Nexuian, Hoping for server revival.
    Donator

This has been a problem for a long time, they really need to get their shit together with staff, threaten demotions or something to get activity going

Counter productive, you are only hurting your own playerbase by doing that

I have lost everything I used to have on the server, but I don't see a reason to build back up again, I'm just going to experience the same content I did before, when I had everything,but it will be no different than when I had nothing.

Boywolfpup likes this.
  5. BobbyRavioli

BobbyRavioli
    Expand Collapse

LOL BASED AND BOBBYPILLED

Yo who tf is this Mose guy, and why is he kinda speaking straight facts???

#5 BobbyRavioli, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2020 at 2:49 AM
    MooseBobby likes this.
  6. MooseBobby

MooseBobby
    Expand Collapse
    Founder of Nexus (RIP)
    Donator

i love you

7. Vali

Vali
    Expand Collapse
    Donator

I second this. I think new players should get a starting boost to resources and instant tp. Add some loyalty incentive for logins or something. Recruit some more mods while you're at it. *Wink wink* looking at you Dreadmore.

Boywolfpup and MooseBobby like this.
  8. TheFlagCourier

TheFlagCourier
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Community Manager Donator

Before I get started with my long-winded response, I feel I must get a few things out of the way:
    Rest assured, we won't be banning *any player* for simply holding a different opinion - especially when that opinion closely mirrors those that we ourselves may hold in some respects. While we may already "know" some of these topics were of concern, not all of them were on our radar - if not due to the simple segmentation of our roles. I personally often find that my view of things may be different through a different scope or lens. So for sharing those, I must thank you for bringing them up.

With that out of the way, I understand that a good portion of our player base is bored. You all have made that clear, even before this letter. While not the whole picture, it is the lack of end-game content and regularly scheduled events. It is the result of a suffering player and staff count. And we do need to improve upon all those where we can.

Just last week we hosted a Battle Royale event. We left this open to all players by providing the kits. While the event did have some flaws it did have a decent turn-out. For a bootstrapped event that occurred with only a few days notice and practically zero planning, it wasn't half bad. I think formalizing that for a future event would be in our best interest going forward.

Setting up that arena was also a decent learning experience for Derp and I. We know what generally works and what definitely does not with setting up that kind of event. While we were mentally exhausted with it at the end, it was well worth the effort. The arena is still there for future special events, should we choose to go about them - and the region flags only need minor tweaking to be used as a KOTH.

While spur of the moment stuff like that is always great when we can pull it off, it's also _very_ apparent that we are not active enough to manage them all the time. Automation would play a big factor, and it's something we've not quite leveraged since the last world migration. KOTHs, Duels, and more would greatly help out with that.

During the 1.14 update, we also promised Resource Points as a supplemental system to Towny's flag war. Sadly, the implementation we were going to use was critically bugged, to the point of incompetence from the developer who coded it. Not that we were any better by announcing it before ever testing it. I'll take full responsibility for that one. Since then, Jacop and Matt have been toying with the idea themselves. I cannot speak for it's reliability or it's readiness, however.

In-game politics warrant a whole different discussion on their own. Personally, I feel that the ball was dropped by the nation leaders with the abandonment of role-playing and discussion. Sure, there are some things that changed with the rules, such as the involvement players can have interacting with Neutral nations. Primarily though, it's the player-to-player issue that we have no real control over. We can still experiment with the ruleset you play by, or provide systems by which you communicate, but that means nothing if allies and enemies just don't seem to care.

Events and end-game content aside, you also bring up valid concerns regarding player retention and the value we present to new players. CivWars is very much a veteran's game. The first players in usually strive and stymie the growth of newer players. The situation with player count is tantamount to Civ's heart rate, and we are currently in atrial fibrillation. Without players the content we plan and work on means absolutely nothing and is a waste of our time.

The Public Relations team was established to get ahead of, and reverse, the situation. But as you have stated there has been a weak showing as of late. They've been tremendous help. I cannot fault the PR team for their recent inactivity, they have greater responsibilities to themselves. I still regard the PR team as an invaluable asset to the server, even as we're in this dip.

As for the economy and crates, I have largely been uninvolved with those sections. Mostly out of unfamiliarity, but also due to not getting very many reports related to them. This is why I say "make a ticket". If it's not in the Ticket area, and isn't able to be immediately addressed, it will be no different from me not seeing the in-game message or it going in one ear and out the other.

Voting is completely broken at the moment in part due to the plugin, but also in part with me not having the time to finish fixing it. I am actively encouraging you to *not vote* until the all-clear is given on it. When you vote, you rep the server, and should be rewarded for it somewhat. Want to keep voting during this time to help the server out? Be my guest. You won't get anything from it currently, but fixing it is one of my top priorities.

Beyond voting, advertising is a job in and of itself. Going forward, we may have to assign a staff position dedicated entirely to that. The Public Relations team was formed in part to help with this task, so that we could focus on developing for the server. We never did delegate the task of advertising properly to the PR team. Some small advancements on that front from Derp have been made, but more could be done from the team as a whole. Regarding non-free advertising, being the one financially responsible for the server, Derp determines the advertising budget. I have no coordination between him and the PR team to speak for that.

Staff retention and expansion would indeed help out a lot on the server. The problem arises when you consider who would be eligible for staff, and then, would they even want the responsibility. I've got a few people in mind who I'll probably try to scout for a staff position, but a lot of our players do not seem to have the temperament required. Never the less, if a player thinks that they could be an asset to the team, they are free and encouraged to apply.

I've had the pleasure of working for this server for the past three years in varying capacities. I cannot say that activity, neither of the player base nor of my own, has ever been high during my tenure as staff. At the core of things, I still look at issues and concepts through the scope of a Systems Administrator and developer; not through the scope of a Community Manager. And that, quite frankly, needs to improve. Drastically.

Personally, I have not been able to keep up my activity and communication. Not where they need to be, anyways. Don't get me wrong when I say this. This is not entirely the fault of my employment status nor my other real-world duties towards my family, friends, and self. No, I will be honest here. I would sometimes rather be spending an afternoon playing a different game, or logging in and just playing normally, helping out upstream projects like Towny, or volunteering time to help troubleshoot other's problems with their PCs in my DMs. I've gotten to the point where the monotony has seeded a sense of malaise.

And while that's ultimately on myself, it is surely of no benefit to the server. I cannot speak for Matt, Jacop, Chocolate, Pelleon, or even Derp's activity. The same for Bleeep and Sphinx. At the end of the day, they've at least put some effort. **I** have dropped the ball on more than one occasion myself, I have no reason or right to judge another staffer for their activity levels. Especially when every one of them either currently attends school, has a job to hold down, or has recently moved interstate.

As I hope to improve upon my own deficiencies, and hope that other staffers pledge the same - I also hope that you, the CivWars community, to help us out where you can.

Now, before I finish up, I think it's important to address the elephant in the room. Why have we started to be less lenient with rule enforcement? Because we honestly should have enforced the rules from the beginning. The toxicity that develops on public channels reflects poorly on our server as a whole, even if it's only a few people being complete asses to each other, in some cases new players and members, or spamming the chat channels.

For the 'Rather Be' issue, we found a lot of the messages being sent recently to be only spam messages. When we asked the community to cease or to take it to different channels, the spam only increased. Welcoming a discord join with the same message, spamming the lyrics like it's the Monty Python sketch, or completely disregarding the call to cease is what called for *that* crackdown. If those involved clearly show no sign of respect or restraint, how the hell are we to trust that they'll show such actions to incoming players.

The automated filters, as well as the active temporary mutes, will remain in place indefinitely. The two adjustments I will make, though not immediately, will be removing the 'repeated message' filter from the dank-memes channel, as well as removing Meezoid from the word filter. The rest of the filter will remain unchanged, because as you've shown, a few of you mistakenly feel it is okay to use racial slurs on the Discord. Similar filters are likely to appear for the in-game General channel.

I hope this answered you sufficiently. I honestly spent too much time typing this response, and now will be going to work without any sleep under my belt. Feel free to ask any other questions, though I may not be able to read them for another ten hours or so. If this whole thing seems long winded, and maybe a bit jumbled, it's probably because I spent three full hours typing it out.

Here's to my insomnia,
    FlagCourier

9. BobbyRavioli

BobbyRavioli
    Expand Collapse

*cough* Redtilldead *cough*

Acid Monkey and MooseBobby like this.
  10. BloodStrike

BloodStrike
    Expand Collapse

When I am with you there’s no place I’d rather be.

Acid Monkey likes this.
  11. Dreadmore

Dreadmore
    Expand Collapse
    Tzar Of Tzar(s)
    Developer Senior Adminstrator

First off, let me just say this was typed out on a phone. I may not address everything cause I might miss it. (its squished).

Secondly, Moose, thank you writing something like this. This is the quality content I subscribe for... for real though.

I would like to discuss my activity and presence in game. I just moved to a new state and currently am unemployed. I am not looking good for March's finances so I am really unfocused on Civwars right now. I have to put food in my mouth and pay my bills. This does not mean I don't care. I am active on Discord and trying to still be an active part of the community.

As for previous times where I would be on a different game when I was employed, we all need breaks or as @TheFlagCourier said it becomes monotonious and a chore. I want making and creating to be enjoyable so I do my best to preserve it.

For the economy, Supply and Demand simply may not work in this setting. There is simply not enough demand. Every item in that sneaky shop goes to $0 to sell.

For end game content, we discussed this a few nights ago. I asked, where are we going with Civ, are we staying as vanilla as possible or are we moving into new territory. We decided on a few things like we are going to be adding more content both custom and not custom... but we are working on it.

The Public Relations team hit a stump. We do need less busy PR members that are proactive. The starter town that is going to be run by staff should be built, I just have to run through and make sure. The tutorial area has been built, we just need to script it out and set it up which will take a bit of time.

I can't speak on advertising but staff AND players should at least be warm and kind to new players. We do have a alt command now, it is just being broken down to allow use to players at direction of Managment.

For events, we really want to go full sprint with this. We have a huge one on our back burner that needs terrain and such made for it. It also requires a few custom plugins (CivQuests, and basic stuff). We plan to also continue to host more events. They are fun for us and you guys.

@TheFlagCourier addressed the clean bandit situation perfectly.

Look, I want to end it off with this. Believe it or not we want what you want. We want a active and happy civwars. It makes it extremely difficult when we have players making us focus on rule enforcement or when we are being antagonized. If you want to help, please just work with us instead of against us. If we ask you to stop, please stop.

You pose valid questions and I hope I answered a lot of them.

Respectfully,
    Dreadmore

Boywolfpup likes this.
  12. MooseBobby

MooseBobby
    Expand Collapse
    Founder of Nexus (RIP)
    Donator

Like thanks for apologizing, but wheres the part where you address what's going to change in the future? I'll stop saying no place i'd rather be in the discord also ok like jeez

13. Dreadmore

Dreadmore
    Expand Collapse
    Tzar Of Tzar(s)

We plan on a lot of stuff but right now development is on a slow down. We are fixing the economy bugs that wipe money right now and trying to fully replace shitce tials. We want to add quests but nothing suits what we truely need so we have to make something. With questing being finished it will make our template for a absolute shit ton of end game content.

We plan to also add more to towns and nations like resource points, Karma effects.

Just takes time and with everything we add comes with more bugs to fix. That's programming.

14. MooseBobby

MooseBobby
    Expand Collapse
    Founder of Nexus (RIP)
    Donator

but you and ron just admitted to not having time and being bored, so what's going to change or happen? I know you plan on adding stuff, I never doubted that. The issue is the timeframe in which you plan to enact these changes, which still hasnt been answered in this thread.

Boywolfpup likes this.
  15. Dreadmore

Dreadmore
    Expand Collapse
    Tzar Of Tzar(s)

@Emperor_Koala is working on Quests, the event map is already planned out. I cant give you a super accurate time frame but itd not going to be in a few weeks. You will see improvements in what we already have. We are going to hit Live with more features in the next weeks like Karma documentation, Resource Points, and hopefully more PR resources when we roll out the new and shiny modularized CivCore2.0.

I hope that answers it a little better.

Boywolfpup likes this.
  16. MooseBobby

MooseBobby
    Expand Collapse
    Founder of Nexus (RIP)
    Donator

Just to understand clearer. Nothing will be addressed before a “few weeks” have passed?

17. Dreadmore

Dreadmore
    Expand Collapse
    Tzar Of Tzar(s)

I am sure staffing changes will be and easy stuff like that but as far as I am aware, we wont be introducing big custom plugins... we have to finish what we have up, test, fix and when we feel it wont blow live to smithereens then we will drop it.

I mean some stuff like voting is purely managment, staffing is managment. Simple config changes can be done quicker. We are working on it.

18. Pelleaon

Pelleaon
    Expand Collapse
    Ate a whole spoon of ketchup

I think a large issue is with the lack of new players staying... but more importantly, younger people. Half of these problems stem from people growing up, I'd say 80% of those playing today are 16+, with several of us (staff and player) working jobs and having larger commitments than the server. Minecraft has become a nostalgic trip for the older playerbase in general, and I think most kids are being drawn to the minigame servers or know little about towny servers anymore (an advertising issue like you said). I truly think without drawing in younger players and keeping them around, we will face the point we simply age out the playerbase.

You raise some good points Moose. Regardless of your past, you are in my eyes Civ's biggest supporter <3

Dr_Chocolate and Boywolfpup like this.
  19. bix

bix
    Expand Collapse

This moose guy, he uhhh he has good points. I uhh I write ads and run social media accounts. Still studying advertising/marketing in school. So uuuh if you need a guy uuhhh hit me up. You should listen to this moose guy, he cares about the server. Staff needs to be more active and its hard like pell so gracefully said, "we gettin old".

MooseBobby likes this.
  20. IHazCow

IHazCow
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Owner of Civilization Wars

Is this something that actually interests you?

Or is this meme-daddy bix?