1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merchant Towns

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ratriq, Mar 23, 2020.

?

After reading the post, did you like the idea of having Merchant Towns on the server?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Ratriq

Ratriq
    Expand Collapse

Okay, so I'm a new player but with previous towny experience but have needed to find a new towny war server since my last one shutdown after playing on it for about 4-5 years.

Either way, something I was surprised by was the lack of player shops or merchant based towns, since those have been very important in my past experience.
    Now, I had this discussion earlier in the chat after finding out and the most common question was, why do merchant towns have anything to do with a "war" server. Beware this is a long one, since this is how many benefits I can find with allowing this.

Well first off, it widens the player interests, since you can still play in war servers without being good at PVP, you only have to have a successful and important trade town.

Second is the fact how lacklustre the current spawn shop is, this was what hit me the most since this made me certain that it was trying to encourage a "player economy" but that wasn't either true since there is no way to currently create a town that survives by selling stuff. Since people can just go on rampages and kill everyone or just trap people or just with the plain fact that customers can out of nowhere start capping plots if you aren't already neutral.
    I mean hell, there is actually no way to even create a shop since you can't even buy shop "plots".

Third is gameplay depth, which in my opinion is the most important. This makes everything more "in-depth" for a towny server. Since I never saw in medieval times all kingdoms was just able to attack everyone whenever. Hell, even in ww2 we saw this. Sweden was never attacked by Germany but it traded with them till the end since it was crucial for Germany but they couldn't take it over because it was important for the allies too and the allies would attack Sweden if they did to make it so Germany couldn't have it.

Now enough with the history lessons, what the hell besides "immersion" does "in-depth" mean. Well, almost everything really. First off waging wars will now be a lot easier if you've got cash since now you can just buy a bunch of materials in a matter of seconds if you are in a "merchant" town which simply is made for you to spend in.
    This also applies to newly raided/attacked towns, these will be able to recover a lot quicker if they have the money. Or they are just tired of getting the materials themselves so they just mine for diamonds and buy it.

Talking about mining diamonds, this will obviously make it so there will be more consistent ways to earn money from selling materials since town shops will obviously both buy and sell stuff, just simply making it more fun to earn money since now it will be a lot more diverse.

Is there anything more "depth-like" thing that this adds? Yes which is another important one, an improved economy-cycle, now what do I mean with this? Well an economy cycle is just another variant of cycle of life, but with money, duh. It's about how money is made, how it's spent, what it's spent on, how it's used, where it ends, and how towns will be using it.

Right now from what I understand towns are pretty independent, they mostly get their stuff by their own and sometimes make some small trades here and there but a lot more doesn't really happen.

With actual places to shop, this will widen the cycle, now let's give an example to how it can play out. It starts with it getting created from the spawn shop, then being used in "probably" a shop in a town to let's say get equipment for waging a war which then gives the shop owner the money.
    Now the shop owner will probably spend the money on getting some resources to improve his shop which be bought from other shop owners or just other players.

But also now because a person used the money on preparing for war, he in a way made it so a war happened with a much more prepared attacker, which let's say wins. Now someone has lost resources and someone gained some and the only work he needed to do was to buy stuff to attack with. Now we've got someone who just lost a bunch of stuff, well, now it's a lot easier since if he got the money, he can easily buy the stuff back from one place, instead of constantly searching for things and grinding or just waiting to find a player who sells what he needs.

What about the person who won? Well, he can still easily have made a profit off this, what this does is that now it's easier for powerful/rich towns to mostly not need to grind for stuff again, if they are rich that is. Since if they are constantly making profits from winning wars and wars are a lot easier to do because you can just get the materials in minutes or seconds.
    War can actually happen a lot more often if the right towns are powerful enough or just stay the same since their only way of making money can now be from wars, because of the quick profit.

Also, a more realistic cycle just happens since now this encourages more towns/players to trade instead of just being inside their territory and working hard to get all the materials for themselves

A fourth thing which was possible in my last towny was also the fact you could literally "sell/give" plots to other towns, why is this good? Well to have more shops which allow even the most war-hungry towns to easily sell stuff if they are selling inside a merchant town.
    This will, of course, be a benefit for the most popular merchant towns since most people will rather buy a shop where more players go and shop at rather than an isolated unknown one.

Also, of course, this just simply adds more things to do in the server in an easier way.

Of course, more will happen but this is just some of them this will give, and since I'm honestly bad at PVP, this was my and many other players way to survive and thrive in towny war servers and just simply have fun playing them.

Okay now, now the downsides of this, at least that's what some players thought was that this, of course, can only work if towns can disable pvp in their territory, at least merchant towns must be able to do this for it to work, and other town's "bought/rented" plots in the merchant town.
    Of course, if you want to be even harsher to merchant towns, which at this point will be either way already be harmless since they must be neutral to make the best profit, but again just to be harsher. You could have similar thing like the neutral stuff with you have to pay a monthly fee and meet certain requirements. Or this could just be an added perk for already neutral registered towns to make it easier.

Now, this is just a view of a new player with past years of towny war experience but look at it at this angle, since, since I'm new, I will be looking at this from a new players view, without any bias towards anything in this server.
    Take it as you want but at least this is what I'm both surprised and quite sad about not existing since again, I and many others play towny war servers for just this, and no this system doesn't work as good on normal towny servers since there are no wars, no wars means towns won't lose or need stuff for a certain thing in the same way, this takes away the whole aspect of being able to profit off other peoples misfortunes. Which is why I think it fits a war server pretty good, since the money made will be large part "blood" money.

Thanks for reading my TED talk. ;)

Boywolfpup and Acid Monkey like this.
  2. Nxmb

Nxmb
    Expand Collapse

One thing and one underlying point of this. CIVWARS. Unless you are neutral you really can't say you don't expect to be attacked. Also you can give something called Embassies to other Nations.

3. Ratriq

Ratriq
    Expand Collapse

And it is also called CIVwars, which stands for Civilization, I've never seen any civilization that barely interacts/trades with other villages, and also, always where we as humans have waged war, there have been traders/merchants who have participated in this and supplying which results in them becoming rich. Trade and supply is a part of war.

Also, you've got a point if you aren't neutral about getting attacked, since how pro-PVP this server has seemed to be compared to other townies, even war ones though. But I never said all towns were able to disable PVP, it was only one of the suggestions, I also said it could only apply to neutrals if need be.

But honestly what's the point of being able to get killed from someone out of nowhere in your own territory if you are neutral though. I mean like hey, we can go around and spawn kill you in your own base and loot your dead corpse again & again but no we can't capture anything since you are neutral, that's waaay past the limit. I mean they both are like, literally the same thing. The only thing I can see what this does is that it makes having public trade towns and merchant towns impossible to make.

Btw are embassy's still possible tough if war waging towns owns it? since let's say only neutrals can disable PVP or does the neutral original shop owner choose that? Haven't played around a lot with embassies.

Boywolfpup likes this.
  4. Bleeep

Bleeep
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hey Ratriq! I'm sorry to hear that the server you played on for years went under. It's brutal losing a community you've grown to love over the years.

I just want to begin by saying I am overjoyed that you are already making your voice heard within the community. It's fantastic to see new players immediately display their ideas for making the server better. I do have several points to make about the suggestion. If your nation is neutral, players from other nations are not allowed to declare war on your town, and they are not allowed to attack your citizens within your borders. Even though PvP in neutral towns is still enabled, attacking a neutral within their claims is against the rules. Neutrals are not allowed to partake in any PvP, and a violation of that rule results in punishment. Embassy plots are available for all nations neutral or not. They allow for other towns and nations to hold claims in your town's land. Neutrals, or at the very least Sainte-Marie, function as merchant towns to an extent already. We are able to sell embassies for others to create shops, we own our own shop that sells to everyone, and we encourage trade between ourselves and other towns or nations. These functions are not exclusive to neutral towns, but setting up a shop in a non-neutral town is always a risk due to the dangers of war.

I agree with your overall sentiment that there should be more player interaction in the economy, but I feel as though the tools are already in place to facilitate that change. If you are interested in becoming a supplier for warring nations, I would suggest creating a neutral nation and setting up shop space, so you could manifest the premise of this thread on the server. Again, we're elated to have you as part of our community now.

Dreadmore, Boywolfpup, Ratriq and 3 others like this.
  5. Ratriq

Ratriq
    Expand Collapse

Ah is it? but wouldn't it be easier to just allow neutrals to disable PVP on their own plots if it's already in the rules? Since I mean the plugin still have the feature, it's just disabled on for us normal players.

Also even if you won't allow neutrals to disable PVP in their own territory, what about other towns killing other town members in my a neutral territory, is there a rule against that? Since if customers can just kill my other customers that just makes big and popular merchant towns more dangerous.

And while the tools might be there, there is no reason not to improve the tools, just as we can use a wooden pickaxe to mine stone but a diamond is always better to mine with and allows more possibilities. The worse the tools are, the less it will be used and more limitations and restrictions will just exist.

Nice to hear anyway that you seem to agree somewhat with me : )

6. Acid Monkey

Acid Monkey
    Expand Collapse
    Donator

Oh not this civ or wars bullshit again

I don’t think the community really has any desire to trade with eachother, not the extent you’d like. Neutrals don’t seem to make war materials, syndicaliste sold gaps for a while but that was the extent of it. With civs setup, it’s easier to make money mining diamonds than making p4 to sell to a warring nation. I do appreciate your interest in making civ better tho, if trade ever does become viable the current neutrality system can foster trade to the degree you want.

Boywolfpup and Ratriq like this.
  7. Ratriq

Ratriq
    Expand Collapse

Happy to hear you seem to like the idea of it anyway. That's also a bit of what's worrying me though, that the community might not just be generally interested.

Acid Monkey likes this.
  8. Nxmb

Nxmb
    Expand Collapse

Does it matter or not we're interested. We will debate it, but what normally happens, good ideas get through. Yours is a good idea, just maybe a few tweaks and I think CivWars would be great with it.

Boywolfpup and Acid Monkey like this.
  9. Nxmb

Nxmb
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the community. Well Said Bleeep.

Acid Monkey and Ratriq like this.
  10. Boywolfpup

Boywolfpup
    Expand Collapse

+1

Ratriq likes this.