1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Civilization Wars History Exams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grant, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Grant

Grant
    Expand Collapse

I'm a sucker for server history. So much so, actually, that back in the day I wrote some exams to test people's knowledge of history since about late May 2015 (after the banishment of ashtonx777). In the exams, you see reflected my idealism for formalism, so you'll have to bear with me. I believe these exams were written in early 2017, so they're certainly out-of-date. And, of course, the exams are biased, in part because I could only write questions for material I was knowledgeable about. (That said, I was very active during the time periods the exams assess.) But I think they're nonetheless fascinating for those who want to reminisce about "OG CivWars".

Attached Files:

Red likes this.
  2. MooseBobby

MooseBobby
    Expand Collapse
    Leader of Nexus
    Discord Booster Donator

CW G&IP EXAM ANSWERS:
    1: B (though its happened smh)
    2: A (TRE & Arkstal have been separated multiple times - TRE was in arkstal at times and arkstal was split between arkstal and mangos)
    3: C
    4: D
    5: B
    6. A
    7: D
    8: C or D - in modern times B in the past
    9: B
    10. D
    11. A
    12. B or C
    13. C/D
    14. B
    15. D by far
    16. D
    17. B or D
    18. C
    19. A
    20. B
    Section 2:
    1a: Argos
    1b: Nekuness controlled all means of power
    1c: Florence/Corsica-Florence
    1d: A democratic government based around the leaders of each town
    2a: Argos
    2b. Argos clan was all in one town and one nation controlled by Nekuness
    2c: It's not, centrally controlled nations are the economic powerhouses of the server due to leadership not producing repeated supplies per player, but rather as a whole
    2d. Totalitarian & Authoritarian
    3a: There is only one leader, the mayor
    3b: Competing alliances could serve as a democratic factor as the alliance would put its citizens over the other ones
    3c. Competing alliances could serve as an autocratic factor due to one person assuming leadership to gain a power structure designed to compete
    4a. There is no way to enforce diplomacy other than war
    4b. Order 66 of Government
    4c. Neutral nations are more likely to engage in formal diplomacy than non-neutral ones due to the fact they have no military power to backup their demands
    5a: Clan due to external connections and unified powerbase that extends beyond the server itself
    5b. Towns lack the ability to go to war and nations lack the unity of a clan
    Section 3:
    This was fun but im not writing out the long answer essays lol. i like the first one though

CWE EXAM ANSWERS:
    1. C
    2. D
    3. A
    4. D
    5. B
    6. A
    7. C & D
    8. C
    9. A
    10. A
    11. A (u forgot hacking as a choice)
    12. C
    13. C
    14. C
    15. C
    16. D
    17. A
    18. B
    19. A
    20. b
    21. D
    22. C
    23. B
    24. A
    25. C
    26. B
    27. D
    28. B
    29. A
    30. IDK
    31. B
    32. A
    Section 2:
    1a. No top of the nether gold farms
    1b. no wither raiding or nether portal bombing
    1c. coolsurdy doesnt collect neutrality costs so neutrality is free
    2a. Alettic, Ashton, Gaffy00, Acryric
    2b. Gaffy00- DDOSING Alettic and acryic - hacking and ash cus coolsurdy hated him
    2c. Moosebobby being unbanned in jan of 2018 and destroying 4 towns before being rebanned the next day by tall
    3. this shit is stupid
    im bored so im skipping to long answer 2
    Section 3:
    2. Oranges was a nation under the control of Applegeek01 and contained the towns of montro, mangoes and adz's town i forget the name. This nation was under the direct control of applegeek01, who supplied the fledgling clan the gear they would eventually use to rule the server. In contrast, Arkstal was under the command of Adzb13 and exhibited and peaceful yet expansionist reign. idk im tired and bored now

MAKE A MODERN ONE GRANT

Ugh likes this.
  3. Ugh

Ugh
    Expand Collapse
    Galaxly

i did not come out here to be attacked like this

MooseBobby likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant
    Expand Collapse

G&IP Correct Answers (where they disagree with your Answers or you put multiple answers):
    Section 1:

4. A. Take, for example, Constantia (me, Yami, and Pineapple's nation before it fell in June 2015). It was not long-standing.
    5. C. The military exemption of G reflects its reluctance to involve itself in any potential wars or conflicts. Hence it's similar to when it terminated its alliances so that it couldn't be called to war.
    8. D. (You put this, but just to clarify, at the time the exam was written almost all of the wars were between clans and most of the industrial production was by the clans.)
    9. A. At that point, most great powers had been dismantled by losing wars to other great powers. Bandits (at the time of the exam, the exemplar of a bandit was s0ux, if you recall) were annoying because they hurt innocents (such as those in Chesapeake) but they rarely did real harm to militarily powerful nations. (Up for debate based on definition of bandit, to be fair.)
    12. C.
    13. When I wrote the exam originally, the answer was C. You, Moose, are actually the reason it might now be C or D!
    17. D. In practice, what stopped people from declaring war willy-nilly was fear one of the big boys would get involved.
    20. D. By internal communication of foreign policy I meant stuff like "We're now at war with X." or "We're friends with X now." Taxation (that's not done automatically through Towny) is rarely done, at least back then.

Section 2:
    1b. A better answer would be something like "cult of personality" or the like.
    2c. You could have said something like "less intrusion by the government is more inviting, instigating town growth."
    3b. A better answer: "An enemy may try to lure a resident of a nation to defect. Leaders of nations, aware of this, are therefore more likely to respond to the Resident's demands, so as to discourage defection."
    4b. I see the confusion, but by formal diplomacy I meant non-war relationships. Like, say, the Treaty between G and Vekta after Order 66. Admittedly bad wording on my part, though.

CWE Correct Answers (where they disagree with your Answers or you put multiple answers):
    Section 1:
    4. C. Hunter was more industrialized than Caesarea at the time of writing. (Actually, he was more industrialized than United-Jungles, and almost gave Reign a run for its money.)
    5. D. This is the point in time where we were lamenting the lack of a place where everyone could set up their own ChestShops.
    7. C. Coolsurdy was one of the most feared PvPers before he went neutral. I remember him, jacop, and Alettic being the "kings" of the pureskill arena.
    9. C. You may be surprised, given that I was in TRE, that I don't think TRE's roman mannerisms were ever culturally relevant. But we still remember wolfhounds' "the basterdaes boomed me".
    12. D. They had already conquered parts of Byzantium and Constantia (the predecessor to Elements Empire)--aggressive behavior indeed.
    14. B. Jacop was/is a revered warrior, but they didn't, to my knowledge, actually have a lot of industrial infrastructure at that time.
    15. B. Choice C was after they had gone neutral and forfeited superpower status.
    16. B. Call me biased, but the Third Battle of Bruhl has gone down in the history books as the nail in Gallia II's coffin.
    19. C.
    21. B. People flagged wolf and tall not for any real reason except to provoke them personally. They were both poor nations at the time.
    23. A. Minor uninvolved powers are, indeed, left alone. But after a war, the world is forced to reckon with the victorious powers as the new hegemons.
    24. Pretty sure it was D. But it definitely wasn't A--Appareil had a gold and arms embargo, though this probably wasn't to well known, perhaps even at the time of writing.
    25. C. Summer boom.
    26. C. Randall liked cool more than Alettic. When Alettic invaded UJ, Randall switched sides and helped cool.
    27. A. The Chesapeake Crises did not destroy Byzantium, but they did produce some trying times.
    28. A. To my knowledge, no one has ever made dismantling an international organization EXPLICIT in terms of peace. It happens naturally from conflict, though.
    30. Pretty sure it's C.

Section 2:
    1c. Neutrals must leave towns if requested; neutrals can't fight unless attacked, etc. You wrote about a LAPSE in the stringent neutrality regulations.
    2a. Not that it matters, since that question specifically asks about that time frame, but I'm pretty sure it was just Gaffy. Maybe I'm wrong.
    2c. I'll take your word for it ;)
    3a. Ex: To feel included in an increasingly clan-centric world order.
    3b. TRE was also split into other nations.
    3c. Argos was not democratic, nor did it claim to be.
    4a. Vitamin J is Juxtaposition. Amiable cake crafting is YamiEmiri. Donator schemes is teeny corgi.
    4b. Donator schemes is when cool would try to suavely encourage teeny to give more money to the server.
    4c. People used teeny as an example of "hoarding neutrals" due, in part, to her gear accumulated from her high donator status.
    5a.Talltitanic is the main player I was going for here.
    5b.He can start afresh and attempt to form new alliances/connections.
    5c.He loses infrastructure each time he starts over.

2. I like your response. You could have also noted Apple's, ahem, charming personality, and Galaxly's cultural and architectural prowess, which Arkstal didn't have. But Arkstal did have more skilled warriors (ex adzy, dogs4war) in high-ranking positions (eg Nation leader) and so exerted more hard-power than Oranges.

MooseBobby likes this.
  5. MooseBobby

MooseBobby
    Expand Collapse
    Leader of Nexus
    Discord Booster Donator

MAKE A MODERN ONE

jbean45, Red and Dr_Chocolate like this.
  6. dogs4war

dogs4war
    Expand Collapse

>didnt have
    gonna have you hol up right there with your wolfhoundism

7. Grant

Grant
    Expand Collapse

smh was Gala in arkstal?