1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some new plugins.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Vali, Mar 10, 2020.

?

Have you had experience with MCMMO, or a jobs-related plugin prior to playing on Civwars?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vali

Vali
    Expand Collapse
    Donator

My suggestion is that we add either MCMMO, or jobs plugin, or both. I know this is a radical suggestion, but it's been awhile since we had this debate, so I'm wondering if the same people who opposed it would still be against it and why. Please leave your feedback below!

Who is this suggestion for? This suggestion is mainly for players who have had experience with Towny, but not Towny war servers. Most players out there who have played on your run-of-the-mill Towny server have probably had experience using either MCMMO or a jobs plugin. These two are among the most popular plugins in the community.

My hypothesis is that incorporating either of the two; or both, may increase player retention and increase the amount of new players coming into the server. Players coming from regular Towny servers will have a greater sense of familiarity and understanding of how the server works, thus making the introduction period less frustrating for them. Also, adding these two plugins will also increase the amount of tags our server gets on the server-listing pages (Planet Minecraft, Minecraft Index, ect.).

As CivWars is now over 5 years old, we have a newer generation of people coming into the Minecraft community, compared to the people who first played when the server first came out. Knowing this, perhaps it is time to make some radical changes to appeal to a newer crowd in order to increase player population.

Perhaps instead of running advertisements catering to faction players, we should run advertisements for the target demographic of Earth server players. Hear me out on this one. Instead of the regular shtick, "better than factions", we can go with "better than Earth servers", playing to the server's strengths of politics and role-playing (let's be honest that's all we do). This way we can draw people in from the earth server boom, and hopefully get less warmongers.

2. Dr_Chocolate

Dr_Chocolate
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Administrator

Absolutely. This is one of thing we had been discussing for a while now. I think with MCMMO, especially, it can provide players something to do/train during odd hours of the day when not much is going on. It would be nice for people to get of the p4 grind once in a while.

+1 from me.

Acid Monkey and Vali like this.
  3. XSphinxHDX

XSphinxHDX
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Donator

I agree that we should do more to increase the newer generation's immediate familiarity with our server, and I agree that McMMO and a jobs plugin could help achieve that goal. Additionally the primary opposition to McMMO in the past was that it unbalanced PvP, however I have been told that disabling the PVP elements is as easy as changing something in the config. If this is indeed the case I think we should move forward immediately with adding it and a complimentary jobs plugin. This would have the added affect of increasing revenue sources on the server which have been sorely lacking in the past several years.

Vali likes this.
  4. Siris

Siris
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the addition of McMMO however if we’re going to add jobs we need to make upkeep on towns much higher as money will be more prevalent. In McMMO a toggle for pvp needs to be turned off and it should be good. I haven’t had any experiences where McMMO has gotten out of hand, as it’s cooldowns are reasonable. And it’s skills like acrobatics help with annoying fall damage.

Vali likes this.
  5. Bleeep

Bleeep
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

You are totally correct about this. I have always been a proponent of McMMO and its ability to enhance the Vanilla survival experience. Obviously, there will need to be serious tweaking to the configs as some of the abilities become quite overpowered (fishing, taming, PvP related abilities), but overall it's certainly a plugin addition I would support in a heartbeat. Jobs plugins are also fantastic ways to stimulate new players early and expand their impact on the economy.

Now this is something I brought to the attention to the Management Team the day I was brought on to help. I am one of the biggest cheerleaders for a change in the demographic we are targeting. The Minecraft community has completely shifted from what it was even a measly five years ago. We're seeing a new, younger generation of players emerge that have grown up with a different era of this game. Our current marketing strategies are outdated and focused on the wrong players, and that's why we have the lovely Bixdad working on overhauling the entire system right now. Marketing ourselves with a broader brush is, in my opinion, definitely a necessity.

This is such a fantastic point that I agree with 100%. Honing in on the political/role-play side of Civ would be extremely beneficial in engaging existing players while simultaneously providing an aura of intrigue for newer players looking for a role-play, survival environment. I think there should be a separate thread dedicated to brainstorming an expansion of role-play aspects on this server. Possibly setting up political houses Game of Thrones style? Role-play can be such a fun tool to engage people and let imaginations run wild.

Vali likes this.
  6. Brawdy

Brawdy
    Expand Collapse
    Allowed to Shitpost- Derp Daddy

I like the idea, mostly because it’s a change that can happen NOW. Changes to war and such are going to be a longer ways away, and we need something new till then, and this is a perfect idea. It’ll add in new things for older players, and lets newer players have more familiarity with the server. However I only think MCMMO is a good choice. Jobs seems a little too different from the server IMO.

Vali likes this.
  7. Boywolfpup

Boywolfpup
    Expand Collapse

The jobs plugin would need a whole change to be implemented and the mcmmo is geared to older players anyway. It's a -1 from me but you have many strong arguments going for it.

8. morganizach

morganizach
    Expand Collapse

+1 I have always wanted mcmmo. I like the challenge of having the highest level of skills

9. Acid Monkey

Acid Monkey
    Expand Collapse
    Donator

The one issue I have with mcmmo is the combat related aspects of it. I remember from an old server I used to play that used mcmmo, people would max out there sword skills and just one shot anyone. Obviously that presents issues for a server like civ.

past that, +1