Map Size Poll

How big would you like the map to be? (these numbers are radii)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You all have voted, and your voice has been heard. We will be going with vanilla generation on the new map. The server will be 1.16 on release, and because of that we have decided to limit the map size for some time until we update to 1.17. 1.17, if you are unaware, completely changes how caves generate and adds so much new content, so we want that to be available for you guys to enjoy, without having to create a super-massive world. Starting off with a smaller world, also allows areas near spawn to be more populated, and eventually leave a lot of historical ruins (which is something many of you have wanted) as the map expands and time passes. Due to the smaller map however, things like elytras will be disabled until the 1.17 update and subsequent map expansion, as to make the world not feel incredibly small. Important: 1.17 changes block height (max and min), and this may prove to be an issue with old terrain. If this is the case, we will open a portal to allow item transfer (and maybe some build transfers by admins, we will see). This is a worst case scenario event, but it is a risk we are taking with a vanilla world, that you guys were told of beforehand.

So the options are as follows. All distances are radii. That means each distance is the length the map extends in one direction from (0,0)
Option 1: 2500
Option 2: 5000
Option 3: 6000 (half the radius of the current map, area would be 1/4th of the current map)
Option 4: 7500

The poll will close in one week.

RedTillDead

Admin
Staff member
You all have voted, and your voice has been heard. We will be going with vanilla generation on the new map. The server will be 1.16 on release, and because of that we have decided to limit the map size for some time until we update to 1.17. 1.17, if you are unaware, completely changes how caves generate and adds so much new content, so we want that to be available for you guys to enjoy, without having to create a super-massive world. Starting off with a smaller world, also allows areas near spawn to be more populated, and eventually leave a lot of historical ruins (which is something many of you have wanted) as the map expands and time passes. Due to the smaller map however, things like elytras will be disabled until the 1.17 update and subsequent map expansion, as to make the world not feel incredibly small. Important: 1.17 changes block height (max and min), and this may prove to be an issue with old terrain. If this is the case, we will open a portal to allow item transfer (and maybe some build transfers by admins, we will see). This is a worst case scenario event, but it is a risk we are taking with a vanilla world, that you guys were told of beforehand.

So the options are as follows. All distances are radii. That means each distance is the length the map extends in one direction from (0,0) Option 1: 2500
Option 2: 5000
Option 3: 6000 (half of the current map size)
Option 4: 7500

The poll will close in one week.
2500. It's better to start the map small and expand as the game goes on. This forces players to interact with each other.
Also if it's not too much of a bother, please add a line break between (0,0) and Option 1: 2500. Thank you!

Codyblueblue

A smaller map allows better player interaction and a greater density of builds/towns. Waiting until the map is uncomfortably cramped for the current amount of players/towns and then expanding will:

-Reduce the amount of time to find bases, last map PvP was inhibited by the lack of bases being found, as it could take days or weeks to scour tens of millions of blocks to find a base.

-Player interaction will increase with a smaller map. With a smaller map, competition increases, and interaction will naturally increase. Neutrals will be more encouraged to build shops, as their bazaar could be no more than a mere hundred blocks away, players won't be as afraid to invite people to their bases, as it'll be inevitable that almost everyone knows where they are. This might also increase player retention as players will see a bustling, small map, instead of a quiet and large map even if the player count is the same.

-Builds will be more dense, plot space will be more valuable: With a smaller map, naturally, plots might get a increase of price/maximum plots for a town will decrease. This will create denser builds and bases, instead of one sprawled out over thousands of blocks. This could also stimulate war and make every claim just that much more valuable, and more of a commodity.

Thanks for putting map size up to vote!

Phurry

10k map now, 20k when 1.17 comes out. Why do people want a small map? Where’s the fun in that. 2500???? I’ve seen claims bigger than that. “Days or weeks to find bases” ~codyblublu, like bro did you not have an elytra? It wasn’t hard to find a base last map, just don’t be bad. I legit graphed out every claim last map cuz bored. Map was too small. “Builds will be more dense” ~kodybloobloo, how tf is that a good thing. Most people on civ make really large towns. When I think of a town on civ I don’t picture a vault, that’s not towny. “small world like my peepee” ~assdeo, I can’t argue with this. Red ur comment just sounds like hcf but civ. Tilted tried that, didn’t go well. ok bye bye I play cod

RedTillDead

Admin
Staff member
10k map now, 20k when 1.17 comes out.
I can't tell if this is serious or not, but this is an awful idea.
Why do people want a small map? Where’s the fun in that.
It's a towny war server, there's no fun in never coming across any towns. Nowhere did anyone suggest it remain this way the entire map through, just that it releases on 2500. I even said
expand as the game goes on.
^^
I’ve seen claims bigger than that.
I guarantee, you have not.
“Days or weeks to find bases” ~codyblublu, like bro did you not have an elytra?
He was exaggerating here, like you likely were in several places in your post. But the idea of his post remains; it takes long to find bases, too long, and the map should not be released on a large scale.
“Builds will be more dense” ~kodybloobloo, how tf is that a good thing. Most people on civ make really large towns.
Large towns are usually very dense. I don't see how dense builds affect how large your town can be.
When I think of a town on civ I don’t picture a vault, that’s not towny.
Same as above.
Red ur comment just sounds like hcf but civ. Tilted tried that, didn’t go well.
Thanks for explaining how? All I said was smaller map forces player interaction.

In essence, what I am saying is that an early map size to start with is healthy for the server. This causes early interaction and early diplomacy between player nations, which leads to creations of alliances/rivalries that would take much longer to form with a "10k map now", or even a 7500 map. An expanding map creates incentive to build up a strong central town, which is dense (but not small), and then expand outwards later. Most players who voted for the 2500 map played original civ, and this is how it was, and it worked, and it was liked by the playerbase.

Ahea

Admin
Staff member
I really like the idea that's been mentioned above of expansion as the map goes on, and I also like the idea of the smaller area forcing interaction. Makes decisions and diplomacy have more weight. However, I think 2500 initially is a bit small. 5000 seems like the best option to me of those provided.

Phurry

I small map will not be good for players new to civ. Gives them hardly any time to get setup before they’re found but whatever. comment section sad

Asdeo

6000, it’s a decent size map and since we’ll expand it later it’ll be poggers, I hope we atleast get a 15k expansion though. I plan for Lofi to take up atleast 2 quadrants of the map

RedTillDead

Admin
Staff member
I small map will not be good for players new to civ. Gives them hardly any time to get setup before they’re found but whatever. comment section sad
Encourages players to find groups/stick together rather than each player making their own individual town/nation, which is a rampant problem as the server progresses. I see no issue with this.

_Bl00dy

Honestly, bigger maps isn't a terrible idea it does take a while to find bases which is annoying but it gives new players some time to build without being flagged, so bigger map isn't always bad.

© 2021 - Civilization Wars LLC.

All Rights Reserved.